Wednesday, March 8, 2017

Banila Co Clean It Zero Purity Review: The Oil Cleanser that Converted Me

I love it so much it sparkles...


When I first started reading about AB, I have to admit I was very skeptical of double cleansing. First of all, cleansing twice seemed superfluous. Second of all, I could not get over the idea of an oil cleanser. You're telling me to put oil on my face?? Did I not spend the entirety of my teenage years trying to get oil off my face?? Crazy talk. However, after enough time down the rabbit hole of AB blogs and forums, I decided to give it a go and ordered Banila Co Clean It Zero Purity oil cleansing balm.
You're telling me... to put oil... on my face?
The first time I used it, I was cringing and praying I wouldn't break out from adding more oil to my face. Let me tell you, that reaction was pure nonsense. By the time I finished my double cleanse with CosRx Low pH Good Morning Gel Cleanser, my face had never felt cleaner. Or softer. Or smoother. It was like I had just truly washed my face for the first time in my life! And that, my friends, is when I became a total believer in the AB skincare philosophy.

Me after double cleansing literally one time.
Packaging
The cleanser comes in a solid plastic container with a little plastic spatula and a plastic disk that fits over the opening, under the lid to store the spatula. Personally, I think the jar is adorable (but not too adorable, ya feel), and I like how it looks sitting on my bathroom counter. The spatula is solid and works well. The only thing I would change is I wish it snapped onto the inside of the lid or something instead of having to fiddle with the plastic disk.

Brand new from the box! The spatula and spatula-holding disk come in plastic on top of the jar.

Left: My new jar, still sealed. Right: My in-use jar with the plastic spatula and holder lid.



Application
To use the cleansing balm, I scoop out a small amount (~hazelnut sized) out of the jar with the spatula and transfer it to the back of my hand. Then, I use my fingers to spread some dabs around my face and gently massage it around. Next, I usually hop in the shower to emulsify it with warm water, rinse, and follow up with my low pH cleanser (currently CosRx Low pH Good Morning Gel Cleanser). Obviously, you can also do this at the sink, but I tend to splash water all over the front of  my shirt, so... shower it is!



Texture
It's very smooth; the balm looks waxy but has a texture closer to room temperature butter when you scoop into it. It's similar in appearance and texture to solid coconut oil. I really like that it's a balm instead of a liquid oil - much easier to travel with! Once it comes in contact with your skin, it melts into a liquid quickly. It also emulsifies easily with a splash of water.

From left to right: straight out of the jar on my hand (that's about how much I use at once), spread around my hand, emulsified with water, and rinsed off all the way. It looks a little melted in the first picture; it actually comes out neater, but I was trying to get it just right for the photo and ended up smearing it.. :/

Results
My face feels so, so, so much cleaner now that I'm using this cleanser. I think my skin feels softer too. Before really reading up on skincare, sunscreen removal was a huge issue for me. I always felt like I still had gunk or residue on my face, even after scrubbing away with my old face wash (ugh). No more! This cleansing balm does an amazing job taking off even my thickest physical sunscreens, and my face just feels so much happier and cleaner.

Value
This is not the cheapest oil cleanser on the market, but at around $20, I think it's a reasonably good value. Using it once a day, a jar lasts me around 4.5 months. If you'd like to try the original Banila Co Clean It Zero, it is usually available for a few dollars cheaper. Personally, since I was a total skincare newbie when I ordered this, I decided to play it safe with the Purity version, which is supposed to be better for sensitive skin. YMMV.

Overall Rating
In case you haven't guessed, I highly recommend this product. It is for sure an HG cleanser for me, and I've already ordered a new jar so I'm ready when this one runs out.

5/5!

Note: So, I recently find out that most cleansing balms, including this one, contain polyethylene. Polyethylene is used to make microbeads and a lot of common plastic goods, and unfortunately, it has some pretty nasty environmental effects. I'm not saying don't buy cleansing balms because I think minimizing your environmental impact is personal, and there are lots of different ways to cut back besides your choice of cleansers haha. That said, I'm planning to look for alternative oil cleansers that I love just as much after I use up my supply. Can't be too sad about an excuse to try new products! ;P

Where to buy:
iHerb, currently $19.78
Code for 10% off your first order: HKP964 **
Referral link **

Memebox, currently $24
Link for 20% off your first Memebox order **

** Indicates referral link or code

No comments:

Post a Comment